My boyfriend and I headed to Boulder for a quick (and last minute) weekend getaway for our anniversary. We basically put in a search on Google Flights for the dates we wanted and decided we would go wherever the cheapest flight was. And it was Denver! I’ve been wanting to go to nearby Boulder for some time, so it seemed perfect. Springtime in Colorado!
Then we got there and it was in the 40’s and snowing. But it was actually kind of great – a welcome reprieve from the constant sunshine and year-round moderate temps of southern California. We only had 48 hours, which ended up being the perfect amount of time to see/eat most everything on our to-do list…
Like hiking up Mt. Sanitas! It’s not an easy leisurely stroll but the climb is worth it for the wide open views. We lucked out in the end with a crisp but sunny day for our hike and watched the snow melt along the trail as we climbed higher and higher. Mind you, this was after an epic dinner with wine and digestifs and very special tequila at Carla and Richard’s house. They don’t mess around. But, hangover be gone!
- Late night cocktails and small bites at OAK at fourteenth
- Coffee at Boxcar and picnic fixins and a great little wine and spirits selection at Cured.
- Lunch (and wine and pizza and spritzes) at Pizzeria Locale. It’s fantastic.
- Dinner at Frasca for a Friuli love fest. Perfect service, amazing wine list, delicious food. It’s a special treat.
- Hike Mt. Sanitas. And there’s tons of other great trails. Wherever you end up, hiking and biking is a must while you’re there.
- Edibles and dank ish with guidance from your very own bud tender at Fresh Baked dispensary. (If you’d like to partake in Colorado’s friendly policy on marijuana!)
Photos by Michael Lockridge (@locksy)